About Us - School History

Westmeadows Primary School has a magnificent history dating back to its establishment in 1870. The Westmeadows community celebrated the 125th anniversary of the school in 1995.

Being one of the earliest state schools in Victoria, it was the original Rural School servicing the Broadmeadows Township. The school is situated in an established and pleasant residential area on the north-west fringe of Melbourne (approximately 16km from the city centre). Although surrounded by suburban housing, the school setting presents an inviting rural atmosphere with large, long established gum and oak trees dominating the environment. 

From 2002, the school has undergone major upgrades, which has ensured our students enjoy excellent learning and sporting facilities.

These permanent, first class facilities include:

  • sixteen modern classrooms
  • a library extension
  • a spacious art and craft complex
  • a well-appointed Music room
  • a comfortable and functional Out-of-School-Hours facility
  • a high quality competition sized Sports Centre.
Future projects will involve the restoration of the school's oval and the resurfacing of the school external basketball / netball court.

The bridge across the Moonee Ponds Creek has become the logo for the Westmeadows Primary School. Built in 1869, it replaced a wooden bridge which had been built in 1854.